Taking Up a New Instrument
Learning how to play a musical instrument is one of the most worthy endeavors a person can pursue. It’s also a major investment, including not only the purchase of the instrument, but lesson books, accessories and equipment, and sometimes private lessons as well. That’s why stores that buy and sell used musical instruments can be a real help. Many used musical instrument stores sell used music equipment and instruments at a fraction of the price and can help you get started more economically.
When shopping in stores that buy and sell used musical instruments, it’s important to know what to look for. Here, we’ll provide a few tips about buying used gear.
- Do your research. Figure out what it is you really want to buy, even narrowing it down to particular brands or styles. Try to get the exact name of the instrument you want and start running searches about the typical price range. Ebay’s completed listings can be helpful, as can craigslist.
- Play it in person to see if it works the way you want it to. Spend some time with it and don’t feel pressured to make a decision right away. Ask first, though. Some stores that buy and sell used musical instruments have strict policies about this.
- Pay attention to reputation. Ask around to see if friends have purchased equipment from the store and find out what their feelings were. If more than one of your friends had major problems with the instrument, it’s probably best to move along.
- Bring an expert with you. Find someone who is familiar with the equipment or instrument you’re looking to buy. They’re likely to be able to let you know if the item is worth the asking price and how high quality it is.
- Consider how the item will change over time. Eventually, you’ll probably want to sell it back for a better piece of equipment, maybe even to the same buy and sell used musical instruments store. If the item will maintain value over time, full steam ahead. If it’s just a fad, though, stop and think.
Buying used musical equipment is a little bit of a gamble, but there are great deals to be had if you look carefully. See this link for more: www.usedinstrumentsmichigan.com