Ten Barking Good Dog Facts
There is a reason that canis lupus familiaris is known as mans best friend. Just about everyone loves a good dog as they provide companionship, entertainment and affection. 46 percent of U.S. households own at least one dog, for a total of 78.2 million pet dogs in the country. These lovable creatures are definitely fascinating and so beloved by humans for plenty of reasons. Here are ten crazy dog facts you may not have known and will probably make you love your puppy even more!
1. Most people realize dogs have a great sense of smell. But canine noses go as far to detect some, if not most, odors at concentrations of parts per trillion.
2. Beyond smelling actual odors, research suggests that it is quite likely dogs can smell fear, anxiety and even sadness.
3. One more olfactory fact to start things off… did you know dogs can be trained to sniff out cancers of the lung, breast, skin, bladder and prostate? While some scientists disagree with this notion, it is true that dogs can smell irregular bodily secretions that may be caused by cancerous tumors in the body.
4. Just like human beings, adolescent puppies lose their teeth and grow new teeth as they become adults. Puppies have 28 teeth, while adults have 42.
5. Dogs chase their tails for a variety of reasons… curiosity, anxiety, predatory instincts or fleas. If your dog is chasing his tail an excessive amount, consult a vet.
6. A study published in The American Naturalist in 2010 found that the differences between the skulls of different dog breeds are as pronounced as the differences between completely separate mammal species.
7. One female dog and her female children could produce as many as 4,372 puppies in seven years.
8. That previous fact is precisely why it is so important to spay and neuter your dogs. Millions of stray dogs wander American streets or are kept in shelters because of rampant over population.
9. Dogs are so beloved by Americans that pet day care facilities are constructed for the purpose of sitting dogs while their owners are away. Doggy day care can be as simple as a few rooms and pens to house dogs during the day or luxury hotel style amenities with scheduled daily events and activities.
10. Doggie day care is actually the most popular type of pet day care. There are is no other kind of animal that Americans care for quite as lovingly and carefully as their dogs.
There is no other animal that Americans care for quite like their dogs. There are many quality Salem oregon dog day care facilities located in the area. If you are concerned with the well being of your pooch while you are away, there is definitely a loving pet day care that can give your pal all the affection and care they need.